Our very favorite thing at ClassHero is celebrating our education superheroes, so we jumped at the chance to ask Norma G. Garcia a few questions.
As Director of Multi-Language at Harlingen Consolidated ISD in Texas and a Rio Grande Valley TABE Board member, Norma always goes above and beyond for her community and students. We wanted to know a few secrets of what makes her tick, in her own words.
1. My favorite thing about Harlingen Consolidated is its ability to refine plans to strategically impact students' success.
2. Apart from being a proud mother of four boys, I humbly serve 2600+ Emergent Bilingual students and their campus leaders to advocate for academic success to become those future multilingual leaders.
3. There are many blessings in this position, but the proudest one is serving my team of leaders, students, and parents. It’s a wonderful feeling when others begin advocating for a ONE TEAM approach to build the future bilingual/multilingual leaders in our community!
4. As I reflect on advice to my younger self, I would go back and cheer her on to take life with grace and not be so hard on herself.
5. Calabaza Con Pollo is my favorite food because it reminds me of the strongest women in my life, my “abuelita Chema” and my mommy who are no longer with me.
6. One thing that most people don’t know about me is the Daytona 500 is on my bucket list!