Back to blog

75% of ELLs Speak Spanish. Who Are the Other 25%?

null • 1 min read • Sep 13, 2022 11:09:36 AM • Written by: Nicole Service

Spanish-speakers often take the headlines, but a whopping 25% of ELLs are being left out of the conversation. 

*There are over 4.9 million English Language Learners (ELLs) in K-12 schools. Often, we hear about the 75% (and growing) number of multilingual students who speak Spanish at home. Though Spanish speaking ELLs are indisputably important, there remains a largely overlooked 25% of English Learners who speak a diverse cadre of languages at home, and who offer a wealth of cultural value to the classroom.

Navy Blue And Yellow Modern How To Infographic

 

Nicole Service